Children's Library Card
How long do I get to check out books and stuff?
Check out the handy chart below for a break-down of how long you get to keep items from the library.
|14 Days||New or "in demand" Books|
|14 Days||Magazines & Newspapers|
|7 Days||Feature Films (DVD/Video)|
|14 Days||Non-Feature Films (DVD/Video)|
|14 Days||Music CDs|
Can I really check out movies?
Yes, if your parents sign a permission form. See the librarian for details.
Can I keep my books and movies longer than the time you give me?
Yes. All items are renewable. you can renew online, in person, or by phone. The renewal period is the same as the orignial loan period. But, you can only renewal an item once and only if it is not on hold for someone else.
What if the book or movie I want is already checked out?
You can use your card to request an item online, in person or by phone. if you cannot find something you are looking for, be sure to ask. The librarians are here to help you.
What happens if I have an overdue book or movie?
Overdue notices will be sent to you if your linbrary book is more than two weeks overdue. You will get a notice of an overdue movie after only 2 days.
Where do I return my books and movies if the library is not open?
We want to do everything we can to avoid overdue fines. For that reason, the library has two drop boxes to return materials. The book return is located in the brick wall at the top of the ramp on the left. This return can be used at all times for books and magazines only. Oversized materials must be returned when the library is open.
AV Return Drop Box
The AV return is located in the glass window to the left of the main door.
- VHS tapes need to be returned directly to the Powers Memorial Library. Books, DVDs, and other materials can be returned to any library in the SHARE system.
- MOVIES AND OTHER AUDIOVISUAL ITEMS CAN ONLY BE RETURNED IN THE AV DROP BOX WHEN THE LIBRARY IS CLOSED. Otherwise they must be returned to the front circulation desk.
- The AV return is intended for Videos, DVDs, Audiobooks, CDs, and other audiovisual items only.
- Fees will be charged for returning audiovisual materials in the book drop.
- The AV drop box cannot be properly supervised during open hours and items left in it are susceptible to theft.
Will you let me use the Internet at the library?
Yes. Your parents can fill out an Internet permission form for you. There is a 1/2 hour limit for using the Internet or other computer programs when someone else is waiting. And, there must be one computer available on each level of the library for others to use the library catalog.